Guidelines for Conversation and Online Exchange
- Remember that all persons are beloved by God, even those with whom we disagree.
- Respect differing points of view in all conversations.
- Be a patient communicator by listening closely and allowing others to finish their thoughts before commenting. When interacting online, be a patient communicator by reading messages or statements in their entirety.
- As you respond to an individual, carefully and accurately represent his or her point of view.
- Seek a deeper understanding by considering the personal experience of others and their contexts.
- Be open to change in your own point of view as you consider new information.
- Stay on topic.
- Make dialogue your goal as you share your ideas and experiences.
- It’s not about winning the argument, but better understanding yourself and others.